One way or another, ice cream is one of the most popular and adored sweets among the population, especially among children and teenagers. In the last century, for example, no one could have thought that ice cream, which consists mainly of milk and is good for health, is harmful to our body. Given the high competition in the market, nowadays ice cream brands are trying to attract consumers not only with the help of taste but also with the uniqueness of their product. Some claim that they manufacture a healthy vegan product, and some experiment with flavor (such as ice cream with salted caramel).
Now supporters of a healthy lifestyle claim that it is junk food because it contains a lot of sugar, trans fats, and other unhealthy components. And is that so?
It’s time to break down the myths that ice cream does not contain useful components in its composition, or there is no milk at all and all that jazz. Conversely, it contains essential amino acids, vitamins, valuable fatty acids, and minerals. Many believe that ice cream only harms the body with its fat content. However, ice cream contains enzymes that absorb milk fats.
Ice Cream – Healthy Eating Tips
Before pampering yourself, you need to understand that there are many types of ice cream: sundae, butter, milk, sorbet, and popsicles. So how to consume this delicacy without harming your body and not rely only on the promises of marketers?
- People with certain diseases, such as diabetes, obesity, or lactose intolerance, should not eat ice cream at all. But should you deny yourself your favorite treat? No. Despite this, you can opt for ice cream that is low in sugar. By the way, the same sorbet is made on the basis of fruit or berry puree and it will be an excellent choice.
- If you have a cold, skip ice cream until you recover. It will not be good for stomach ulcers or chronic gastritis.
- Read the composition. Ideal ingredients are whole milk, milk powder, butter, cream, eggs, natural flavors. Try to avoid desserts with a long list of vegetable fats, flavorings, and preservatives.
- Always pay attention to expiration dates and the quality of packaging.
- Modern ice cream brands have also taken care of lovers of slimming delicacies. They have developed a milk-based product without fat, but with a special additive called inulin, which allows you to achieve the same taste sensations as fat ice cream. And even if you watch your figure, you deserve a bowl of ice cream without affecting your body.
- Mango, lemon, strawberry, and other aromatic ice creams should be avoided (such ice creams usually contain a lot of fruit essences and additives, as a rule, not belonging to the natural group).
- Do you want to enjoy ice cream without vegetable fats, preservatives, and flavors? Make it yourself, it is not hard at all!
As a result, it is important to choose the right product and consume it responsibly. Remember that it’s important to avoid hot drinks during eating ice cream because this can damage the tooth enamel.